The Alvin and Fanny B. Thalheimer Foundation was established in 1959 to perpetuate the philanthropic tradition of its founders, who were committed to the vitality of Baltimore’s cultural, educational, civic and Jewish communal institutions.
Today, the Foundation continues our founders’ commitment to improve the lives of Baltimore residents by supporting efforts to improve quality public education. Our current efforts are directed at supporting education by improving and working on literacy initiatives. The Foundation defines literacy as the ability to read and write in an increasingly digital world, to take in information from sources and to compose text in response.
Our Guiding Philosophy
The Foundation’s work is rooted in tzedakah and the Jewish value of assisting people in need in a dignified way. Through our grantmaking programs, the Foundation aims to remove structural and institutional impediments to human development and have a positive lasting effect on people’s lives.